You can renew or register for your membership online here: Membership Registration
You may also fill out this form: 2018 Membership Form
and bring it into the office.
Our membership has been at the core of our organization since 1988 when four families came together to share stories, and develop resources and connections.
Our membership has now grown and comprises more than 260 families as registered members of our organization. They represent every age group, from pre-birth to end-of-life, and each unique story provides context and hope for the next generation of parents and families.
Becoming a member
Membership is available for families, individuals or organizations. Membership can be registered throughout the year, and renews each December for the following January.
The annual Membership fee is $40, which includes membership to CDSS ($15).
For families of individuals with Down syndrome who are experiencing financial hardship, we are able waive these fees to ensure that finances are not a barrier to accessing our support or resources. Please contact Julie Boucher (FSL).
Your 2018 EDSS membership includes:
- Access to Family Support Liaison (FSL), access to EDSS members Facebook group (private),
networking opportunities for families, peer to peer support (Visiting Parents Team), learning
sessions with guest speakers, weekly newsletters, family-oriented social events… and more!
- Vote at the Edmonton Down Syndrome Society Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- Chateau Lacombe Member room rates of $75.00/night (Please contact office for more details)
- Access to extensive resources/information specific to Down syndrome available from our
resource lending library and our FSL.
- Access to in-service learning (schools, daycares) about what Ds is, possible medical concerns
and how it would affect them in the classroom and tips and tools to support positive behavior.
- Joint membership with the Canadian Down Syndrome Society (CDSS) which includes a
subscription to their newsletter (e-mailed) and a vote at the CDSS AGM.
*If your EDSS membership is for a person born with Ds or an OCA, they will also have access to
programs such as: speech therapy (subsidized), social programs, physiotherapy (subsidized),
occupational therapy (subsidized), drop in baby-toddler group and activity groups for all ages.
EDSS programs are only for members born with Ds or OCA
To become a member, mail completed membership form and cheques payable to EDSS to:
Edmonton Down Syndrome Society
9139 39 Ave NW
Edmonton, AB T6E 5Y2
Withdrawal of Membership
- A member may withdraw from the society by tendering his/her resignation in writing, either by email or letter, to the office.
- A member may be expelled from the organization if they have given cause. This can only take place by a unanimous vote by the Board of Directors.
- Loss of membership may occur if membership dues are not paid within the grace period (30 days).uploads/files/Documents/EDSS%20Membership%202018.pdf